This isn’t a family recipe, I took this off the internet sometime ago and for the life of me cannot recall the source. While we know the sweet potato is a New World crop I do not know where sweet potato pone originated. I’d guess it was created by Black slaves, as it exists everywhere the transatlantic slave trade touched. Unfortunately, it is not as popular in America as it once was, but still quite common is Jamaica and other West Indian nations. Most people eat pone as a desert but I find it is also a great side with dinner particularly around the holidays.
Try the recipe out , comment and let me know how it came out.
- 2-1/2 pounds of grated sweet potatoes
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1/2 cup milk or evaporated milk
- 2 1/2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup cane syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest